WHAT ARE THE MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS?
You must be engaged as a legal secretary, legal assistant, stenographer, typist or clerk in any law office or be licensed to practice law; any person employed in the courts, trust department of banks, trust companies, or title companies, or in any public or private institution directly engaged in work of a legal nature, including all public offices of the United States, state, city and municipal governments.
WHEN DO WE MEET?
Our regular dinner meetings are held quarterly, March, June, September and December, and are typically held the third Wednesday of the month. Board meetings are the second Wednesday of every month, noticed on our website calendar and by e-mail. We strive to make our meetings educational, informal and fun. Come network with your colleagues, make new friends, expand your knowledge, and maybe win one of our draw prizes!
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO JOIN?
Annual dues are $45 to be a full member of LSI and SBLPA, and $25 to be a local SBLPA member only. Full member dues include a $25 per capita tax that SBLPA pays to LSI. Our fiscal year runs from May 1 through April 30. Our membership drive kicks off in May 1st through June 1st of each year. We accept new members year-round, but do not prorate dues.
Many employers pay the annual dues for their secretaries. Some will also pay the costs of attending seminars and/or our meetings. Will yours? Why not ask?
- An organization that promotes your professionalism to the legal community, enhancing your career potential. Cash in on our cachet.
- Networking with other legal professionals in this Association and other agencies in joint meetings and activities. It's not just what you know, but who you know.
- Educational meetings. Guest speakers present topics of interest to the legal professional. Hone your skills and further your network opportunities.
- LSI quarterly magazine, The Legal Secretary, by your state network, Legal Secretaries, Inc.*
- Seminars are offered to keep us informed on law-related topics, many offering MCLE credit for those needing to keep up their credentials. Learning at Lunch!
- Legal Office Procedures courses through SBLPA. A dream we hope to bring to fruition.
- Study groups and practice tests for preparation for the California Certified Legal Secretary (CCLS) designation. A CCLS designation could mean more $$$.
- Reference materials at discount prices:*
--LSI Legal Professional’s Handbook (The Rutter Group)
--Law Office Procedures Manual (The Rutter Group)
- LSI Quarterly Conferences. Reduced fees for full members.*
- LSI Legal Specialization sections. Informative seminars/quarterly newsletters.**
* Only full members receive these benefits.
** Requires an additional fee
- Credit Unions-checking, savings, and loan accounts
- Group Insurance—medical, dental, disability and life
- Employment-free placement service
- Social activities and community service
- A program to increase your career earnings
SBLPA - a must on your resume!